Thursday, February 8, 2018

Paraty, Brazil, February 7, 2018

I had a fine sleep but spent a lot of time on my bed with the fan blowing on me.  Wiebke and I are on cook group tonight so we went grocery shopping.  Nienke has arranged for the man outside the gate of our camping to make burgers tonight so we're just making a salad and having cake, whipped cream and strawberries for dessert.  We also have to buy fruit for a fruit salad tomorrow at breakfast.  After shopping, I went wandering into the historic centre.

The historic center dates back to the 1820s when the streets were already "pé de moleque" which means boy's foot paving.  They're rocks that are really hard to walk on!  Paraty was a great location because of the sea and during full moons, the tide came right into town and cleaned the streets!  There were coffee plantations and sugar cane farms, and pirates and Freemasons who constructed the lovely buildings.  Construction of buildings was highly regulated, thank goodness, because they're still standing and look great.  

I love the streamers in place for Carnival-

Other decorations-

Freemasons left their mark on the front of two story houses with embossed geometric drawings-

The Iglesia Matriz de Nossa Senhora dos Remedios was founded in 1863 and is in neo classical style-

It has an interesting front.  It's like a birthday cake stacked up in there-

Later I stopped by the cemetery-

Supper went fine and by 9:00 I was in bed, wasting my life on the Internet.  Only one more day to go!

Ken Jones, 72, is from Preston, Lancashire, England.  He started the trip in Alaska and finished the first time in Cartagena.  From there he went home but couldn't stay away, so rejoined the group in Ushuaia.  He's a retired air craft technician and now spends his days hiking, walking, motorcycling and travelling. He has 2 kids and 5 grandchildren who all live close to him.  He's thinking about going to Iceland this summer-

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Cancun, Mexico to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan,     December 31, 2023 I was up at 4:30 and walking to the bus depot by 5:30.  I wore my headlam...